August 13, 2021, 06.20 PM

On top of that, in terms of health aspects, MSME players are also prone to get infected with the virus as they have to deal directly with various customers every day.

Also read: More Indonesian SMEs Poised to Gain Access to Social Assistance Programs

Therefore, many MSMEs were pushed to shift their ways of selling the product and service from offline to online. During the pandemic, it was reported that internet traffic was up 15-20 percent.

With the challenges, the government came up with several programs to help the MSMEs. A stimulus package of about 123.46 trillion rupiahs ($8.5 billion) was also provided for the MSMEs, including a lending program with a lower interest rate under the microcredit program (KUR).

Social assistance of 28.8 trillion rupiahs ($2 billion) was also provided for unbankable MSMEs. Under this program, 12 million MSMEs received a zero-interest grant of 2.4 million rupiahs ($167).

It was hoped that the assistance programs would empower the MSMEs in moving the wheel of business and maintaining the welfare of the people amid the pandemic.

What are the survival strategies?

To cope with the Covid-19 challenges, the Minister of Cooperatives and Small and Medium Enterprises encouraged Indonesian MSMEs to embrace the digital ecosystem by promoting their products via e-commerce platforms.

Also read7,000 MSMEs Register for Private Covid-19 Vaccination Scheme: Indonesia Business Chamber

Teten Masduki had previously said that only 13 percent of the MSMEs have utilized e-commerce as their platforms to promote and sell their products. The remaining 87 percent of the MSMEs were still selling their products offline.

Page:


Comment wisely and responsibly. Comments are entirely the responsibility of the commentator as regulated in the ITE Law
Report
Thank You! We have received your report. We will remove comments that conflict with the Community Guidelines and the ITE Law.

More Headlines

Close Ads