The verdict was read by the panel of judges on Wednesday, April 21 afternoon after the court found the defendants guilty of committing an act of terror at the Mobile Brigade headquarters in May 2018.
“[It was] sentencing for the terrorism case in the incident at the Mobile Brigade headquarters. All defendants accepted it and did not appeal,” said a court official who opted not to be named on Thursday, April 22.
The six defendants were Anang Rachman, Suparman alias Maher, Syawaludin Pakpahan, Suyanto alias Abu Izza, Handoko alias Abu Bukhori, and Wawan Kurniawan.
Kompas was previously reported that five members of the Indonesian anti-terror police from Special Detachment 88 (Densus 88) and a convicted terrorist were killed in the incident.
A spokesperson for the police at the time said that the riot started with a quarrel between prisoners and police officers when the food sent by the family had to go through a security check. Some of the prisoners could not accept this procedure.
The convicted terrorists had taken control of the detention center, where over a hundred detainees were holed up inside the jail for more than a day, while the police could only stand guard outside the building.
After the crisis was contained, the police who were taken hostage were then released around midnight. A total of 145 prisoners surrendered, while 10 other people had fought back. However, after a while, they also finally surrendered.
(Writer: Ivany Atina Arbi | Editor: Ivany Atina Arbi)