JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - The Indonesian Military (TNI) expressed its readiness to support the Police in finding the mastermind of a suspected suicide bomb attack in front of a cathedral in Makassar city, South Sulawesi on Palm Sunday.
This statement came after TNI commander Air Chief Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto and National Police chief General Listyo Sigit Prabowo visited the scene following the incident that wounded dozens of people and killed the two attackers.
"In this case, the TNI Commander confirmed that the TNI was ready to support the Police in taking firm action against all actors and groups responsible for this action," said a spokesperson for the TNI, Colonel Edys Riyanto, on Sunday.
During the visit to Makassar city, the TNI Commander and the Chief of Police also came to the Bhayangkara Hospital to meet the victims of the suicide bombing.
Also read: Indonesia Highlights: Jokowi Strongly Condemns Makassar Cathedral Attack | UAE to Invest $10 billion in Indonesia’s Newly-Established Sovereign Wealth Fund | Overseas Indonesians Contracting Covid-19
"The TNI Commander and the Police Chief then proceeded to the Bhayangkara Hospital in Makassar to meet the victims," said Edys.
Meanwhile, State Intelligence Agency (BIN) spokesman Wawan Hari Purwanto said that the suicide bomber at the cathedral in Makassar were on a police list of suspected terrorists.
"The perpetrators of the suicide bombing at the cathedral were in pursuit of security forces. There are still some who have not been detained and are still in pursuit," said Wawan on Monday, March 29.
According to him, the indications of act of terrorism in Makassar have been monitored since 2015 when hundreds of people were trained by the Islamic State militants in Sudiang, South Sulawesi.
In January 2021, the National Police counter-terrorism squad, Densus 88 and the South Sulawesi Police arrested 20 suspected terrorists linked to Jamaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD).
"They were involved in funding the suicide bombers in the Philippines, the escape facilitator Andi Baso, the suspected perpetrator of the 2017 Oikoumene Samarinda church bombing," said Wawan.
Wawan said the suspected terrorists had made various preparations to carry out acts of terror. Based on police investigations, it was found that they were planning to carry out a suicide bombing. He called on the public to remain calm.
Previously reported, the suicide bombing was allegedly carried out by two perpetrators using a motorbike that occurred during a Palm Sunday Mass at the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus Cathedral in Makassar, the capital of South Sulawesi Province.
Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Mahfud MD said the victims of this incident were two people who were suspected of being the perpetrators.