Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung

Five Go on Trial for Negligence over Indonesia Stadium Disaster

January 17, 2023, 11.12 AM

SURABAYA, – Five Indonesian men charged with negligence leading to one of the worst stadium disasters in football history appeared in court by video link on Monday, Jan. 16, as their trial began.

The stampede in October in the East Java city of Malang – which killed 135 people, including more than 40 children -- came after police fired tear gas into packed stands when supporters invaded the pitch at the end of a match between rivals Arema FC and Persebaya Surabaya.

Hundreds of people fled for narrow exits, resulting in a crush that left many trampled or suffocated to death.

Three local police officials, a match organizer and a security official were all charged with negligence for their role in the disaster, and face a maximum sentence of five years imprisonment if found guilty.

A sixth suspect – a former director of the company that runs Indonesia's premier league – remains under police investigation.

Also readIndonesian President to Order Stadium Audit after Deadly Stampede

On Monday, authorities deployed hundreds of security personnel around the court and the trial was held virtually for security reasons.

Outside the courthouse, Rini Hanifah held up pictures of her son Agus Riansyah, one of the victims who went to watch the football match and never returned. She called for the death penalty for those responsible.

"Lives should be paid with lives. That's not just numbers, it's human lives," she said. "We need justice for my child."

Another parent, Udin, whose daughter and her boyfriend died in the tragedy, said he also wanted those responsible to be heavily punished.

"Death sentence, that's all," said the man, who declined to give his last name.

Authorities told Arema FC supporters not to travel to Surabaya for the trial, for fear of clashes with police or rival fans.

Also read: Indonesia Launches Investigation into Deadly Football Stampede

Police described the October 1 pitch invasion as a riot and said two officers were killed, but survivors accused the police of using excessive force.

They were seen kicking and beating pitch invaders before indiscriminately firing tear gas rounds into the stands, despite football's world governing body FIFA outlawing the use of such riot control methods at stadiums.

Source AFP

Comment wisely and responsibly. Comments are entirely the responsibility of the commentator as regulated in the ITE Law
Thank You! We have received your report. We will remove comments that conflict with the Community Guidelines and the ITE Law.

More Headlines

April 14, 2023, 12.38 PM

Indonesia Detects New Covid Arcturus Variant

Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung
Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung


Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung
Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung
Close Ads