Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung Kompas.com+
January 16, 2023, 10.04 AM

BEIJING, KOMPAS.com — The World Health Organization has appealed to China to keep releasing information about its wave of Covid-19 infections after the government announced nearly 60,000 deaths since early December last year following weeks of complaints it was failing to tell the world what was happening.

The announcement Saturday, Jan. 14, was the first official death toll since the ruling Communist Party abruptly dropped anti-virus restrictions in December despite a surge in infections that flooded hospitals. That left the WHO and other governments appealing for information, while the United States, South Korea, and others imposed controls on visitors from China.

According to Kompas.com, the Indonesian government said recently that tourists from China are welcomed in the country. However, the government and relevant parties will continue to carry out the health protocol and CHSE (Cleanliness, Health, Safety and Environment Sustainability) standards in dealing with the spread of Covid-19.

Also readIndonesia Scraps Covid-19 Restrictions But Mask Mandates Still Apply

"Certainly, under the framework of the health protocol to control the pandemic we welcome Chinese tourists," said Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Sandiaga Uno on Monday, Jan. 9.

China’s government said 5,503 people died of respiratory failure caused by Covid-19 and there were 54,435 fatalities from cancer, heart disease and other ailments combined with Covid-19 between Dec. 8 and Jan. 12.

The announcement “allows for a better understanding of the epidemiological situation,” said a WHO statement. It said the WHO director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked by phone with Health Minister Ma Xiaowei.

“WHO requested that this type of detailed information continued to be shared with us and the public,” the agency said.

Also readOver 65 Million Indonesians Received First Covid Booster Shots

The National Health Commission said only deaths in hospitals were counted, which means anyone who died at home wouldn't be included. It gave no indication when or whether it might release updated numbers.

A health official said the “national emergency peak has passed” based on an 83 percent decline in the daily number of people going to fever clinics from a Dec. 23 high.

The report would more than double China's official Covid-19 death toll to 10,775 since the disease was first detected in the central city of Wuhan in late 2019. China has counted only deaths from pneumonia or respiratory failure in its official toll, which excludes many fatalities that might be attributed to the virus in other countries.

Source: VOA, Associated Press

Dapatkan update berita pilihan dan breaking news setiap hari dari Kompas.com. Mari bergabung di Grup Telegram "Kompas.com News Update", caranya klik link https://t.me/kompascomupdate, kemudian join. Anda harus install aplikasi Telegram terlebih dulu di ponsel.

Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung Kompas.com+
Source VOA News


Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung Kompas.com+
Comment wisely and responsibly. Comments are entirely the responsibility of the commentator as regulated in the ITE Law
Report
Thank You! We have received your report. We will remove comments that conflict with the Community Guidelines and the ITE Law.

More Headlines

Travel & Leisure
February 5, 2023, 07.28 PM

Cap Go Meh Festival Observed in Indonesian Cities

Travel & Leisure
February 3, 2023, 04.57 PM

EU Approves Plan to Make Online Application for Schengen Visa

Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung Kompas.com+
Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung Kompas.com+
Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung Kompas.com+
Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung Kompas.com+
Close Ads
Oke
Baca berita tanpa iklan. Gabung Kompas.com+