KOMPAS.com – The government of Indonesia has decided to reopen the I Gusti Ngurah Rai Bali Airport for international flights starting from October 14 as the number of Covid-19 confirmed cases continue to decline.
The airport in the resort island closed to international flights for over a year to contain the spread of coronavirus.
Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan said Monday that Bali would soon welcome the international travelers as long as they adhere to all rules regarding quarantine and testing for Covid-19. The international travelers will also be required to show proof of hotel bookings for undergoing at least eight days of quarantine at their own cost.
“We are open to several countries, including South Korea, China, Japan, United Arab Emirates, and New Zealand,” Luhut told a press conference on Monday, October 4.
Previously, Tourism and Creative Minister Sandiaga Uno said that Bali will prepare its three green zones in Sanur, Ubud, and Nusa Dua at the beginning of the reopening of Bali to foreign travelers. Sandiaga said that tourist establishments in these three locations will strictly implement cleanliness, health, safety, and environment (CHSE) measures to stem the spread of coronavirus.
Indonesia started to gradually reopen the country’s economy after the coronavirus infections continue to decline. However, the Covid-19 restrictions on public activities in Java-Bali remain in place and it has been further extended by two weeks until October 18.
During the press conference, Luhut said some adjustments to public activities have been made following continuous improvement in the Covid-19 indicators.
The relaxations will allow fitness centers to resume operations but limit their capacity to 25 percent. They must follow strict health protocols and implement the Covid-19 contact tracing app PeduliLindungi.
The food and beverage counters in the movie theaters are also allowed to reopen. The movie theaters can operate at 50 percent capacity. “The rules will apply to alert level 3, 2, and 1 cities,” said Luhut, who is also the coordinator of the Covid-19 restrictions on public activities in Java-Bali.
He added that the Honda DBL youth basketball competition in Jakarta and Surabaya could also be held.
In the next two weeks, 20 districts or cities will remain under the category of alert level 2 areas. While the number of alert level 3 cities increases to 107 cities from 84 cities.
The government will conduct trial runs for alert level 1 area in Blitar city, East Java as it has met the indicators of the World Health Organization (WHO). Seventy percent of its population received the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine and 60 percent of the elderly have received the first dose.
Luhut said that the Covid-19 restrictions on public activities in alert level 1 city would return life to normal. However, the government will also strictly implement surveillance, testing, tracing, and discipline on health protocols.
He urged the public to remain vigilant as the number of confirmed cases could increase at any time.
(Writers: Anggara Wikan Prasetya, Ahmad Naufal Dzulfaroh | Editors: Anggara Wikan Prasetya, Rendika Ferri Kurniawan)
Dapatkan update berita pilihan dan breaking news setiap hari dari Kompas.com. Mari bergabung di Grup Telegram "Kompas.com News Update", caranya klik link https://t.me/kompascomupdate, kemudian join. Anda harus install aplikasi Telegram terlebih dulu di ponsel.