SUKABUMI, KOMPAS.com - The Sukabumi Disaster Management Agency (BPBD) has declared a six-day emergency response status as land keeps shifting in Ciherang, Nyalindung District in Indonesia's West Java.
"The emergency response status was declared from February 4 to 10," said Anita Mulyani, acting head of Sukabumi BPBD on Saturday, February 6.
The geological disaster that hit the village at an altitude of 930 meters above sea level began on December 13, 2020.
Anita went on to say that the decision was made as the land keeps shifting. As of today, cracked land has reportedly expanded and the subsidence is getting worse.
During the emergency response period, 16 aid groups comprising 75 volunteers have provided assistance to many residents.
"We hope that we can collaborate including with the villagers and volunteers," said Anita.
Anita further added that an extended period of the emergency response will be evaluated later as it will be based on the development of the situation in the next few days.
Currently, BPBD will support the victims in any way they can, making people feel safe and comfortable. BPBD is working closely with all parties to monitor conditions on the ground.
"If the condition is not improving, an extension of the emergency response period will be carried out," said Anita.
Previously, the land movement in Ciherang was jointly handled by the village head, district leadership assembly (Muspika) in Nyalindung district, and the villagers.
Data from BPBD in Sukabumi Regency on Thursday, February 2, said that 20 houses were damaged following the land movement. A total of 21 families comprising 50 people live in these houses.
It was reported that seven houses have been demolished independently. Meanwhile, 107 houses were damaged due to the land movement. The houses were occupied by a total of 118 families comprising 382 people.
(Writer: Budiyanto | Editor: Abba Gabrillin)https://t.me/kompascomupdate, kemudian join. Anda harus install aplikasi Telegram terlebih dulu di ponsel.