December 25, 2020, 11.54 PM

KOMPAS.com – FIFA has officially announced the postponement of the 2021 editions of the men’s FIFA U-20 World Cup and FIFA U-17 World Cup in Indonesia and Peru, respectively..

In light of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the tournaments will now be held in 2023 with both countries remaining as the hosts.

“As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Bureau of the FIFA Council has decided to cancel the 2021 editions of the men’s FIFA U-20 World Cup and FIFA U-17 World Cup,” FIFA said on its official website Thursday, December 24.

Also readIndonesia Highlights: Indonesian Military Commander Warns of Social Media’s Potential to be Misused | FPI Operational Permit Expires | Indonesian Soccer Legend Ricky Yacobi Dies

“And to appoint Indonesia and Peru respectively, who were due to host the tournaments in 2021, as the hosts of the 2023 editions.”

FIFA said that the Covid-19 pandemic continues to present challenges for the hosting of international sporting events and to have a restrictive effect on international travel.

FIFA has therefore regularly consulted the relevant stakeholders, including the host member associations as well as the confederations involved in both tournaments originally scheduled to take place in 2021.

Also readPandemic Pushed Indonesia’s Tourism Industry Backwards by 20 Years

FIFA also said that it became clear that the global situation has failed to normalize to a sufficient level to address the challenges associated with hosting both tournaments, including the feasibility of the relevant qualification pathways.

“FIFA would like to express its gratitude to the host member associations, as well as the authorities in Indonesia and Peru, for their commitment and the tournament preparations made so far,” the statement said.

“FIFA looks forward to continuing to work closely together with the host countries to organize successful tournaments.”

Also read: Indonesia to Allocate Up to $5 Billion for Covid-19 Vaccines

Upon hearing the news, the Soccer Association of Indonesia (PSSI) quickly responded to the official website of the federation. PSSI’s chairman Mochamad Iriawan said he respected the decision.

“We have done all preparations related to the tournament of the Indonesia U-20 World Cup in 2021,” said Mochamad Iriawan, adding that PSSI respects and supports FIFA’s decision to cancel the FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2021.

“Along with FIFA, INAFOC [the Indonesia FIFA U-20 World Cup Organizing Committee], and host cities across Indonesia, PSSI hopes to work with all stakeholders to organize the next edition of the tournament in 2023,” said Mochamad Iriawan, popularly known as Iwan Bule.

(Writer: Mochamad Sadheli | Editor: Mochamad Sadheli)

Sources: https://www.kompas.com/sports/read/2020/12/24/23232828/breaking-news-fifa-resmi-tunda-piala-dunia-u20-2021-hingga-2023?page=all#page2.

https://www.kompas.com/sports/read/2020/12/24/23565398/respons-pssi-usai-fifa-undur-jadwal-piala-dunia-u20-2021.

Dapatkan update berita pilihan dan breaking news setiap hari dari Kompas.com. Mari bergabung di Grup Telegram "Kompas.com News Update", caranya klik link https://t.me/kompascomupdate, kemudian join. Anda harus install aplikasi Telegram terlebih dulu di ponsel.



Recommendation
Comment wisely and responsibly. Comments are entirely the responsibility of the commentator as regulated in the ITE Law
Report
Thank You! We have received your report. We will remove comments that conflict with the Community Guidelines and the ITE Law.

More Headlines

News
August 16, 2022, 01.24 PM

UN Envoy Makes First Visit to Myanmar

News
August 15, 2022, 09.06 PM

Myanmar Court Sentences Suu Kyi to 6 Years

News
August 12, 2022, 04.41 PM

Researchers Warn of Melting Antarctic Ice Sheet

News
August 8, 2022, 09.07 AM

ASEAN Wraps Up Foreign Ministers Talks

Business
August 5, 2022, 10.13 PM

China Begins to Ship Bullet Trains to Indonesia

Close Ads