BEIRUT, KOMPAS.com – The EU demanded the urgent formation of a “credible” Lebanese government before more financial aid is given in the aftermath of the Beirut explosion.
The EU’s Commissioner for Crisis Management Janez Lenarcic stated that the EU had mobilized €64 million for the emergency response to the deadly Beirut explosion.
The twin blasts on August 4 killed more than 190 people, wounded thousands in Lebanon’s capital, and has since spurred a political crisis in the badly hit nation.
The next round of funding would be for reconstruction, he said, but warned it would have to go hand in hand with reforms because the international community was not willing to support practices "that led to a financial collapse and economic crisis".
Read also" Lebanese Stand in Solidarity as Govt Abandons Beirut Explosion Recovery Effort
The tragedy occurred when hundreds of tonnes of ammonium nitrate fertilizer that had been left unattended in a port warehouse exploded.
It came as the Lebanese people were already reeling from the country's worst economic crisis in decades and rekindled smoldering rage over official neglect and a political class accused of corruption.
The government resigned in the wake of the disaster, but Lebanon has rejected an international investigation, saying it would carry out its own probe aided by foreign experts.
"We need a credible government that enjoys the confidence of the Lebanese people and is determined to take the country in the right direction," Lenarcic told AFP after arriving in Lebanon on board a humanitarian aid flight.
Read also: France’s Emmanuel Macron Pledges Support during Visit to Lebanon