KOMPAS.com - Police have set up a 475-member task force as the president and prime minister called for new safety measures to prevent a repeat of the tragedy.
Police launched a 475-member task force to investigate how the tragedy occurred.
On Tuesday, police chief Yoon Hee-keun bowed before reporters and apologized for the incident. He said he felt "deeply responsible" for public safety and that crowd control on the night was "inadequate."
Yoon added there had been multiple calls to the country's emergency hotline before the deadly crush occurred in the tight streets of Itaewon.
Because the event was not an officially registered one with a designated organizer, neither police nor local authorities were assigned to crowd management in advance as they might have ordinarily.
He did not directly address questions as to whether or not he would resign, the Korea JoongAng Daily reported.
South Korean leaders demand action
On Monday, Prime Han Duck-soo said the government would "thoroughly investigate the cause of the incident" to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future.