JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - The Indonesian Embassy in Seoul confirmed on Sunday, Oct. 30, that two Indonesian citizens survived the Halloween crowd surge on Saturday evening but should be admitted to local hospitals for medical treatment.
The two Indonesians, only identified by their initials AR and CA, however, had been discharged from the hospitals after receiving medical treatment, the embassy said in a statement on Sunday.
"AR has been discharged from Korea University's Anam Hospital on Sunday morning while CA who sustained a minor injury had left Seobuk Hospital, and returned home on Saturday evening," the embassy said.
The embassy further confirmed that none of the Indonesians was among at least 151 people who got killed in the Halloween crowd surge that occurred in Seoul's popular nightclub district of Itaewon on Saturday evening.
The embassy, however, continued to coordinate with local authorities to obtain the latest information on the victims.
According to Yonhap News Agency, the "sudden surge of Halloween crowds that instantly packed a narrow 4-meter-wide downhill alley in Itaewon District" killed at least 151 people and wounded 82 others.
Among the victims were 19 foreigners, including those from China, Iran, Norway, and Uzbekistan, Yonhap said.
The Iranian Embassy in Seoul had confirmed the deaths of four Iranians in the Itaewon stampede, according to CNN.
South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol responded to the stampede that Yonhap recorded as the deadliest accident in South Korea since the sinking of the ferry Sewol in 2014 that killed 304 high-school students and others.