Kompas.com – The Indonesian government and US automaker Tesla will hold investment negotiations next week after a non-disclosure agreement was signed on Wednesday, February 3.
The government has also received a proposal on the investment plan in Indonesia, but none of the officials have disclosed further details on the proposal.
However, the Indonesian officials have not disclosed the details of the proposal.
Previously, Tesla CEO Elon Musk had responded to President Joko Widodo’s invitation as they were on a call on December 11 last year. The two discussed investment opportunities from electric vehicles company Tesla in Indonesia and the main component used in the electric vehicles such as nickel.
The media reported that Indonesia has a plan to become the biggest producer of lithium batteries as the country has the biggest nickel reserves.
On the security issue in the country, the National Police has fetched 26 terrorist suspects from Makassar at the Soekarno-Hatta Airport near Jakarta and would be transferred to the police’s Mobile Brigade (Brimob) detention center in Cikeas.
Below are the editors’ picks stories published on Kompas.com:
Indonesia, Tesla to Begin Investment Negotiations Next Week
The Indonesian Government has received an investment proposal from the US automaker Tesla after a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) was recently signed by both parties.
Septian Hario Seto, the Office of the Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister’s deputy head for investment coordination and mining, said on Thursday the government will soon hold a negotiation with Tesla.
“The negotiation will begin next week,” Seto told Kompas.com on February 4.
However, he did not elaborate on the details of the proposal. “I can’t disclose the details except to the relevant parties that we have agreed upon,” he said.
Previously, Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan said that representatives of the Indonesian government and Tesla have signed a confidentiality agreement on investment.
19 Terrorist Suspects in Makassar Identified as Hardline Islamic Defender's Front Group: Police
The National Police's Spokesman Brigadier General Rusdi Hartono said on Thursday that 19 terrorist suspects who are members of the Islamic State-inspired Jamaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD) in South Sulawesi’s Makassar are also identified as members of hardline Islamic Defender’s Front (FPI).
FPI had been officially disbanded in June last year following its controversial activities in the country.
The terrorist suspects have been fetched by Indonesia's elite anti-terrorism unit Detachment 88 (Densus 88) at Soekarno-Hatta Airport in Tangerang near Jakarta on Thursday afternoon.
“All are members of the FPI in Makassar. They are very active in FPI activities in Makassar,” Rusdi told a press conference at the Soekarno-Hatta Airport.
He went on to say that the terrorist group from Makassar has various plans that could disrupt the stability, security, and public order in the country.
JAD has carried out a series of attacks, including suicide bombings such as at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Jolo Island, in Southern Philippines.
One of the 19 terrorist suspects is the son of Rullie Rian Zeke and Ulfah Handayani.
The group also comprises nine terrorist suspects from Gorontalo. They are also part of the Islamic State-affiliated JAD group.
In total, 26 terrorist suspects were fetched by the National Police today and would be transferred to the police’s Mobile Brigade (Brimob) detention center in Cikeas.
Covid-19: Indonesia Allocates $3.2 Billion in Staple Food Program This Year
The Ministry of Social Affairs has allocated 45 trillion rupiahs ($3.2 billion) to provide staple foods for families affected by the Covid-19 pandemic this year.
The initiative is part of the government-funded social assistance programs to accelerate national economic recovery. The other two programs comprise Family Hope Program (PKH) and Cash Social Assistance (BST).
"The Ministry of Social Affairs has allocated 45 trillion rupiahs [$3.2 billion] for the staple food assistance program in collaboration with the Himbara (the Association of State-Owned Banks) and PT Pos Indonesia [state-owned postal service firm]," said Social Minister expert staff Sonny Manalu, on Wednesday, February 3.
Sonny said besides the staple food assistance, the Ministry has also allocated 12 trillion rupiahs ($853.9 million) for the BST program and 20 trillion rupiahs ($1.4 billion) for the PKH assistance this year.
"The BST program will be distributed to recipients who are affected by the Covid-19, not the PKH program recipients nor the staple food recipients," he said, adding that the BST program will be distributed directly by PT Pos Indonesia from January to April.
Dapatkan update berita pilihan dan breaking news setiap hari dari Kompas.com. Mari bergabung di Grup Telegram "Kompas.com News Update", caranya klik link https://t.me/kompascomupdate, kemudian join. Anda harus install aplikasi Telegram terlebih dulu di ponsel.