In his official statement, Coordinating Legal, Political, and Security Affairs Minister Mahfud MD regretted that the protest turned violent, and led to the destruction of public facilities and looting.
“Such actions are crimes that cannot be tolerated and must be stopped,” Mahfud said in a press conference that is televised by Kompas TV on October 8.
Mahfud said that the government respected the people’s rights to express their opinions about the new Job Creation Law as long as it was done peacefully, respected the rights of other people, and did not disturb public order.
Here below is the government’s official statement read by Mahfud MD:
With the developments of the current situation as people have expressed their aspirations for the new Job Creation Law in several places throughout the country, the government will convey the following matters:
1. The Job Creation Law was formed to carry out the government’s duties in building the welfare of the people through the creation of more job opportunities, protection of workers, simplifying the bureaucracy, and eradicating corruption and extortion and preventing other corruption crimes.
2. The government respected the people to express their opinions about the Job Creation Law as long as it was done peacefully, respected the rights of other citizens, and did not disturb public order.
3. The government regretted the act of violence done by the people in certain places by destroying public facilities, setting fires, injuring officers, and also looting. These actions are crimes that cannot be tolerated and must be stopped.
4. Destroying public facilities and physical attacks on apparatus and members of the public are insensitive to the people who are struggling against the Covid-19 pandemic as well as economic hardship.
5. For this reason, to maintain order and security, the government will take firm steps against the act of violence which are aimed at creating chaos and fear in society.
6. Besides a peaceful protest and not violating the law, dissatisfaction with the new law can be pursued in a way that follows the constitution, such as channeling it through government regulations, presidential decrees, ministerial regulations, regional government regulations, and judicial review to the Constitutional Court.
7. Once again, the government will take firm steps and carry out legal actions against all perpetrators who commit acts of violence.
This was signed by Mahfud MD as Coordinating Legal, Political, and Security Affairs Minister, Tito Karnavian as Home Affairs Minister, Budi Gunawan as National Intelligence Agency Chief, Air Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto as TNI Commander, and General Idham Aziz as National Police Chief.
The simultaneous protest against the Job Creation Law occurred in several places in Indonesia. The protesters — workers, college students — demanded the annulment of the controversial law as they say it will harm the workers.
(Writer: Achmad Nasrudin Yahya | Editor: Krisiandi)https://t.me/kompascomupdate, kemudian join. Anda harus install aplikasi Telegram terlebih dulu di ponsel.