JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com – A total of 141 Indonesians in Azerbaijan are confirmed safe following an attack at Ganja, the country’s second-largest city, an official said on Monday.
“They are safe and sound,” a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Teuku Faizasyah told Kompas.com on October 5.
Faizasyah said that the 141 Indonesians include the Indonesian embassy staffers and their families, who live far from the affected areas.
“As far as I know, they are still in their respective places and quite far from the conflict area,” he said.
Also read: Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Indonesian Covid-19 Cases in Saudi Arabia Mostly Migrant Workers
He also confirmed that the Indonesian Embassy has been monitoring the whereabouts and safety of the 141 Indonesian citizens.
A territorial dispute between Azerbaijan and Armenia led to the clash in the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
Previously, on September 27 at least 16 soldiers and some civilians were reported killed in the heaviest clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan since 2016.
The clash between the two former Soviet republics is the latest in the aftermath of the war in the 1990s due to the prolonged conflict in the Nagorno-Karabakh region. The region is known as part of Azerbaijan but it is isolated and controlled by ethnic Armenians.
Also read: Indonesian President Confident in Government’s Handling of Covid-19