SERANG, KOMPAS.com – Indonesia’s Banten Province in West Java implemented a partial lockdown or large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) in all its regencies and cities following the continued escalation in coronavirus cases on Monday, September 7.
The spike in Covid-19 confirmed cases has turned many places in its Tangerang district and Tangerang regency into a pandemic high-risk area or “red zones” while six other areas are categorized as moderate Covid-19 risk or “orange zones”.
“The PSBB in greater Tangerang has been expanded and it now applies to all regencies and cities in the Banten Province,” Banten Governor Wahidin Halim announced on Sunday, September 6.
Before the PSBB went into effect throughout Banten Province, Wahidin said that he had coordinated with the Ministry of Health.
“Based on the information from the Ministry of Health, the implementation of PSBB is under the purview of the regional governments because they have a better understanding of each region,” he said.
Previously, the greater Tangerang — cities near the Jakarta capital — extended the partial lockdown measures at least nine times. However, many residents failed to follow the health protocols when the partial lockdown measures were relaxed.
Wahidin said his concerns about the violations proved valid. Violations remain and new confirmed cases increase after the public activities restrictions have been eased.
“The uncontrolled movement of residents in some areas has affected areas concerned. This happens a lot in Banten, turning it again into high-risk zones,” Wahidin said.