JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com – Indonesian terror convict Abu Bakar Ba’asyir will be released from Gunung Sindur prison in Bogor, West Java on Friday, January 8, an official confirmed.
Rika Aprianti, a spokesperson for the Law and Human Rights Ministry’s Corrections Directorate General, said that Ba’asyir would be free because he had completed his 15-year sentence.
“He will be freed on January 8, 2021, because his sentence has been fulfilled,” Rika said on Monday, January 4.
Following his release, Rika added, the ministry’s Corrections Directorate General will work closely with the National Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) and the National Police’s Densus 88 anti-terror squad.
Also read: Deputy Regent Faces 12 Years in Jail If Found Guilty in Fatal Road Accident in Indonesia’s Papua
“We have also coordinated with the family and related parties,” she added.
Elsewhere, Imam Suyudi, the West Java Office head of the Law and Human Rights Ministry said that Ba’asyir got a total remission for 55 months in his sentence.
“He was sentenced to 15 years after he got remission for 55 months on general remission, decade remission, and special remission, as well as on the occasion of Idul Fitri and when he was sick,” said Imam as reported by Tribunnews.com.
Also read: Ex-Prisoner Takes to Twitter to Expose Extortion, Drugs in Indonesian Prison
It was previously reported that Ba’asyir was sentenced to 15 years by the South Jakarta District Court in 2011. He was convicted of supporting a jihadi training camp.